a modern fantasy RP forum

Breakfast business [Rabi x Tucker]

· 3 · 365

Offline Beejoux

• View Profile
Breakfast business [Rabi x Tucker]
« on: September 21, 2019, 12:03:04 PM »
It wasn't an answer but it did mean he got a little quiet and time to himself to actually process what had happened.  He ended up staying away from the dorms for a couple of hours.  It was close to four by the time he let himself back into his room, a half empty to-go cup in his hand from the Sonic located a few blocks away.

Rabi was sprawled out on his bed, legs stretched out, and his expression lit up at the sight of the food. Partly it was because he was so skinny; he probably needed food. But partly it had to be due to the smell that clung to the room: slightly sweet, but mostly marijuana.

He wasn't surprised to see Mahar there, but he did pause just inside the door, brows creased as he sniffed the air.  Familiar but not, marijuana mixed with something else.  He glanced back towards the other man's hands as he closed the door behind him and set the take out bag and cup on an empty spot on the desk.

He had a red solo cup in hand, with the expertly rolled joint perched over it. And Rabi looked relaxed: moreso than Tucker'd ever seen him before. "Are you sharing?"

His lips twitched as he thought about it before he finally nodded to the joint in his hand.  "I will if you will."

There wad a pause; Rabi tool one more long pull, blowing it out in a few perfect rings, before he offered the joint to Tucker.

It hadn't come from Tucker's own stash, he didn't think.  Seemed higher quality, more potent, probably a lot more expensive than anything Tucker could afford.  He eyed the joint, plucking up the food and his drink again to head over to the bed so he could toss the bag on his teacher's stomach and reach for the offered joint, tucking it between his lips like it wasn't the first time he'd done it as he took a seat on the end of the bed.

Rabi watched him out of the corner of one eye as he dug into the food - apparently neither picky nor shy. "Surprising."

He took a long drag, holding it in as he leaned back against the wall.  Smoke trickled from his nose before he exhaled completely.  It seemed to help, at least the tension had left his features.  Or maybe that had more to do with the couple of hours to himself.  "What's surprising?"

"They don't drug test athletes?" if there were fries, he started there: slouching, legs stretched out and eyes half closed as he worked through them.

Tuck gave a non-committal sort of shrug, eyes on the joint.  "I have a medical card."

"Uh huh." Rabi'd already worked a good way through the joint; maybe that was why he didn't demand it back. "Who doesn't."

Another drag, and Tucker sighed as he released it, his head tipping back against the wall.  "What else is in this?"

"Flavored hashish." He spoke around a good mouthful of fries, already reaching for more. Not like a hungry man; like a starving man, maybe.

"Ah.  It's smooth."  He tipped his head, eyes opening so he could look across the space of the bed to where Mahar was lounging.  "Better not be getting crumbs in my bed."  There was a beat, head features pinching just slightly.  "Looks like  I should have ordered more, shit."

"I can go get more, probably." He shook his head a little bit, chewing and swallowing -- and made no move to get up and do it.

Tucker had snacks squirreled away, some cup-soup and other easy to make meals.   The usual diet of college students with limited funds.  "There's some protein bars over in my gym bag."

He thought about that, head tipped to the side -- and then opted to finish off Tucker's Sonic take-out, instead. Tucker could eat the protein bar. "How'd your walk go."

The take out had started with 2 double cheeseburgers and fries.  He'd thankfully already eaten one, or there would have been a bigger protest as Mahar mad the second disappear in record time.  Like he hadn't eaten in days.

To that question he shrugged, lip curling up on one side before he brought the joint up again.  The smoke escaped as he spoke.  "Fine, I guess."

He licked ketchup from the inside of his thumb as he leaned back, idly poking through the bag for leftover fries. "Helpful?"

"Yeah a bit, but I don't imagine it'll last."  Not if Mahar insisted on sticking around and being a cryptic son-of-a-bitch.  He frowned down at the joint and gestured for the solo cup, not wanting the growing ash drop on his bed.

Rabi stared at him blankly for a moment, eating the last fry -- and then understood, offering him the cup. And stealing the joint back in the process. "You could have it over and done with right now, you know."

Well he didn't need the cup if the joint was gone as well, so he set it on the bed propped up against his thigh.  "But I wouldn't have any answers, and the questions would always be there."

"Sometimes that's how life is." He drew again, and this time took a moment before he blew the smoke out. It escaped in the loose shape of a jellyfish.

The jellyfish was distracting, catching and holding Tucker's attention for a few long seconds before he looked back at Mahar.  "Yeah, sometimes we don't get what we want."

Rabi shrugged just a little, crossing his legs as he settled back on his elbow. "Your life would definitely be simpler without me in it."

Tucker's turn to shrug, and he slouched down a little further, head tipped back, eyes closing once again, and loosely crossed his arms over his stomach.  "I already told you, it's your choice."  And he'd leave it at that, not interested in riling himself up with another useless argument.

"It's not." He said it smoothly, unhesitatingly. "And it becomes even less so if I tell you more."

"I don't know how you expect me to trust anything your saying when your so damn cagey.  I can't, and until that changes I guess we're at a fuckin' impasse."  He didn't bother looking over again.

"I haven't lied to you a single time." He shrugged, tapping fingers against his knee, and drew again on the joint.

"Omission is still dishonesty.  You might not lie outright, but you aren't giving me anything." He snorted.  "No, worse.  You're actively choosing not to tell me.  Which I wouldn't care about, except now I'm involved in all this.  You act like I can just hand this thing over and it all goes away, but that's not how that works.  I was in that house, my fingerprints are all over, and if there's anything left after they'll still be there, tying me to the scene."

"There's nothing left." He said it easily, unhesitatingly. "And I killed the camera footage."

Dark brows dipped.  "How would you even know that?"  And of course there'd been cameras, a place like that.

That seemed to settle a little more heavily on Tuck's shoulders because he sighed, eyes half opened to stare up at the ceiling like he might find answers up there.  It couldn't be any less helpful than the man lounging beside him.

"I went back." He shrugged a tiny bit, leaning forward to tap off the joint next to Tucker.

His head tipped back down, watching Mahar lean closer to tap off the Ashe in the cup at his side.  "Did you Uber , or just appear there?" There was the slightest edge in his voice.

"I don't have a phone. John wouldn't let me." He looked up at Tucker as he said it, blinking slowly.

Well, it wasn't a direct answer, but it might as well have been.  "Why not?"

He didn't think he'd get an answer to that, but he was looking at the other man a little differently, pale eyes flicking to the threadbare clothes, the empty take out bag, and his frown turned more thoughtful.

"I think there was a good amount of sheer malice in what he did." Rabi leaned back again, shrugging. And he seemed blase about it. Weirdly so.
"Why did you stay, the pin?"  Free will.  Tuck's lips pressed together as his mind circled back to the argument he'd heard a few days before.

"I heard the way he talked to you."  He looked down now at his own legs, and his arms tightened unconsciously around himself.

Rabi made a sound -- confirming, maybe, but it was hard to tell -- and finished off the joint. It should have burned, stung the tips of his fingers, but it didn't seem to bother him.

"What else did he do to you?"  It was said almost absently, distracted, but after a second Tucker jerked his head up, an odd look on his face.  "You don't have to answer that, sorry."

It made Rabi smile, though, slowly, like he couldn't help himself. "You ask a lot of questions you don't actually want the answer to."

He was looking at him warily now.  "I do want to know, I just...shouldn't have asked that."

"You really don't." He flicked ash from his fingers, too, and then levered himself up to go poke around in Tucker's gym back for the protein bar, too. "You don't keep chocolate?"

"The bars are chocolate."  He reached for the cup, the empty fast food bag, and leaned up towards the head of his bed to toss them both into the trash can beside his desk.  Then he just flopped over, worn out, one arm draping down off the side of the bed.  "Why don't I want to know?"

"As a rule, human beings don't do well with suffering. The flip side to empathy, I suppose." He found one of the bars and then sighed, turning it over. "This isn't chocolate. It has chocolate, but it isn't."

Pale eyes were watching him as he moved around the room, and it should have been weird, him being there, but with everything else that'd happened it just wasn't anymore.  "I think there's a Snickers in my desk."

The rest of it was mulled over for a moment before he finally asked.  "So you aren't human?"

"I never said that." He dropped the protein bars and then went for the Snickers with a grimace. "This is barely chocolate either."

"No, but normal humans can't just appear in places."  The hanging hand flopped lazily.  "And that's the best you're going to find in this room, but there's a vending machine in the lobby."

He rumbled and stood, stretching his neck as he did, and flicked Tucker a look. "Which way?"

"Down stairs in the common area."  He flicked a look at the desk.  "If you're not going to eat that Snickers give it here."

Rabi tossed him the candy bar as he headed toward the door. "No point running off, I'd find you."

Where would I go?

He snatched the Snickers out of the air and rolled into his side so he could tear into it, but beyond that he didn't bother moving much.

Rabi was only gone about ten minutes, and came back with one of everything chocolate out of the machine.  Which was remarkable, since he didn't have any cash.

He'd lost the hoodie, was laying on his back now with one leg bent and the other stretched out.  He had the pin out again, it was resting on his stomach with his hand laying on top of it.  "That's a lot of fucking chocolate."

"I haven't had chocolate in the better part of a decade." He set it down on the edge of the bed to poke around for something dark.

He made a face, lifting his head to look at the pile of chocolate.  "John again?"

Rabi shrugged and ripped the package open, sitting on the corner of the bed with his legs stretched out. "Am I sleeping here?"

"Are you?"  A dark brow arched.  "I thought you had no where else to go."

"I could go sleep in the park I guess." It was said smoothly, slightly challenging. "Of course, I'm brown. Good chance they'd pick me up for it."

"That's not..." Tuck sighed, dropping his head back down on his pillow.  "You can stay.  Just don't be a dick."

Something about that made Rabi freeze, all at once -- and then go silent, just holding his chocolate bar against his knee. It made him grimace.

The lack of snappy comment was what drew Tucker's attention back to the man and he frowned at the look on his face, pushing himself up on one elbow.  "What's wrong?"

He had to force himself, moving carefully, to take a bite of chocolate -- and it didn't look like he enjoyed it at all. "I'd go sleep in my office, but if the police came around, it could be awkward."

His head tipped thoughtfully, watching.  Knowing something had happened but having no idea what.  "It's fine, you can stay."

"I'd rather sleep in my office." There was something a bit black behind it, now. He polished off the chocolate bar.

He shouldn't have cared, and earlier that morning he wouldn't have, but his dislike of the teacher had changed in the last five or so hours, grown, faded, become a hell of a lot more complicated.

Complicated enough for Tucker to sit up, pin dropping into his hands in his lap.  "Because I implied you were a dick?"

"Because you told me not to be who I am, or who I want to be." He stood, then, to throw out the trash.

The confused frown just deepened.  "Since when does it matter what I want or think?"

He didn't answer, that, just rolled a hand dismissively.

"It's not like I'm your boss."  He wasn't exactly sullen, but the flip in mood combined with how tired he felt was making him cranky.

"Then it'd be better if you didn't tell me what to do." It was still -- he had to say it delicately. Without looking up.

"Why are you being weird all of a sudden?"  A pause, followed by an amendment.  "Weirder."

Again, he just shrugged instead of saying anything, gathering up his chocolate.

It was still light out, not even seven yet, but all Tucker wanted to do was curl up and go to sleep.  Instead he looked across the room to the door to the shared bathroom.

"Fine, whatever.  I'm going to go take a shower.  Just..."  And he stopped, a clean pair of shorts in his hand from a draw.  "Never mind."

He opened the door and stepped through, letting it close behind him.  And he must have taken the pin as well, because it wasn't on the bed anymore.

Rabi wasn't there when he came back out, so maybe he had decided to go sleep in his office. Or the park. Or maybe he'd found somewhere else.

The empty room was surprising though Tucker wasn't sure why.  Nor could he pinpoint the uneasy feeling that settled between his shoulder blades as he let himself fall back into his bed in just the clean shorts.

Pin in one hand, phone in the other, he thumbed in a search for antique hatpins into Google.  Not knowing if he'd find anything, or what even he was looking for.

He'd get pictures, mostly. The one he'd found looked more middle eastern or southeast asian than the fancy western ones, though. And Rabi still didn't come back.

The sun hadn't quite set before Tucker had surrendered to the exhaustion.  He fell asleep with the pin still in his hand but his phone laying on the bed beside him.

Offline Beejoux

• View Profile
Re: Breakfast business [Rabi x Tucker]
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
He'd maybe wake up around four in the morning when Rabi appeared back in his room -- though he'd be too asleep, probably, to tell if it was through the door or not.

Tucker barely stirred, breathing remaining deep and even.

He'd be fine, then, when Rabi stole a pillow to sprawl out on his floor, right in the way.

It didn't phase him other than to have him shifting closer to the wall.

He'd remain sleeping until a little after seven, apparently hitting his limit at eleven hours.  Not that it was particularly alert when he finally started to wake up.  It started with a stretch and a groan, blankets pooling at his waist before he grabbed for them to drag them up under his chin.  Unwilling to get up just yet.

In contrast, Rabi sprawled out on the floor and slept like the dead -- half under the blanket and half wrapped around his pillow.

Tuck could have laid there for another hour at least but he was alerted to the fact that he wasn't as alone as he thought by the sound of heavy breathing coming up from the floor next to the bed.  Still bleary-eyed, he rolled over to look over the edge.  "When did you come back?"  It was soft, the young man musing mostly to himself as he heaved a sigh and heaved himself to sit on the edge of the bed, a hand smoothing through wild hair.

He'd have to speak up to really wake Rabi; he looked dead to the world. And he smelled like cheap vodka.

Yawning, one hand scratching at an old scar on his side, Tucker carefully stepped around the sleeping man to  head for the bathroom.  He was back a couple of minutes later, hair a little more tame and teeth brushed, and he stood there a long moment debating on just leaving him there.

Instead he poked at his side with his bare foot.  "Hey, do you want breakfast?"

Rabi had rolled over -- but that made his eyes snap open, a couple deep breaths taken in as he tried to figure out where he was, and then he closed them again, grimacing. They had been very yellow.

Tuck stepped back, eyes wide has he muttered a quick apology, but he'd seen Rabi's eyes in that half second they'd been open.

"Is that...a no?  Or?"

"Give me a minute." It was low, grumbly, trying to gather his thoughts up. "Time is it?"

"Um."  He patted his pockets for his phone, didn't find it, and had to walk around him again to get back to the bed where he'd left it.  "Seven thirty."

"Too early." He closed his eyes again, and drew the blankets in around him.

"You sure?  There's a great little dinner within walking distance and they serve ridiculous portions." Phone and pin were both tucked into his pockets, and he had to step over the other man yet again to get to his dresser for a shirt.

There was a long moment of silence, and then he cracked the blankets again, trying to come into focus. "I don't have any cash."

Tuck shrugged and turned his back on him so he could dig through his drawer for the shirt he wanted. "I'll pay, no big deal."

Rabi dragged fingers up through his hair, eyes closed for another minute -- and then, with a huff of a sigh, hauled himself up to stand. "I need to get some clothes."

He paused with his shirt around his arms to glance back at him.  "Right.  Well..."  It was clear he was debating with himself.  "You can borrow some of mine, for now.  It looks like we're probably the same size."

"I can go get some clothes." He cracked his neck while he thought it over, eyes half closed. "But I'll need shoes."

He pulled the shirt on the rest of the way and smoothed it down.  "What size are you?"  And then he frowned.  "How are you going to get clothes if you don't have any cash?"

"How do you think?" He shook his head at Tucker just a little bit, with a flash of amusement behind it. "I can deal with ill fitting shoes for a little while."

He opened his mouth to argue and then thought better of it and just shook his head.  "Whatever, but I'm not waiting for breakfast.  If you want free food, that trains leaving in like five minutes."

"I can go after." Assuming Tucker wasn't too put off by the battered and slept in outfit Rabi was still wearing.

That settled things.  Tuck double checked for his wallet to make sure he had it and then grabbed a pair a worn in chucks to pull on.  "If you have to pee or anything else now's the time."

He had to brace a hand on the wall to get the second shoe on.  "Any shoes are fine to borrow, just not the cleats."

He eyed the chucks, then the rest of Tucker's shoes, and settled for the loudest of them -- even if they were also the ugliest. He blew out a little sigh as he tied them up. "At least I can finally get something worth wearing."

The phrasing of that struck him, and he stopped what he was doing to look back at Mahar again.  He couldn't remember if he'd ever seen the older man in anything that wasn't worn, threadbare, almost falling apart, and even if it was a different situation it was still the same.

It was still control and abuse.

Tuck licked his lips as he reached for the door, a little of that showing on his face before he turned away.  "Yeah, that's a plus."

"I think docs. Are docs still in?" He only looked up as he said it, somewhat blase; missed that flutter on Tucker's expression.

Tuck held the door looking a little distracted.  "Doc martins?"

"Uh huh." He rolled his shoulders as he stood, grimacing down at the shoes -- they were not his style, but at least they were something.

"Yeah.  You can get them in a bunch of different colors."  He blinked as the other man walked past him and he got a whiff of stale liquor.  "How much sleep did you get?"

"Three hours, maybe." But he was waking up, now, drawing in a couple deep breaths that seemed to steady him. He rolled his shoulders under the t-shirt to settle it.

"I didn't expect to see you back."  But he was a little relieved by it for a multitude of reasons, not all of which he really understood.  But the more peeks he got into the life his teacher had been living, the harder it was to hold onto his disdain and bitterness towards the man.

"I told you I'd keep haunting you." As long as Tucker held onto the hairpin. He raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, but you also said you would rather sleep in your office, and you seemed...pissed off, or something."  Tuck shrugged, bouncing down the stairs.  "I figured you'd be back, just not last night."

He considered that for just a moment, assessing, before he answered. "Cops at my office."

He didn't quite stumble on the last step, but it was close, and pale features sobered up fast.  "Oh."

"I have to decide if I'm going to talk to them or just disappear." He slid his hands into his pockets and, in contrast, looked completely unconcerned. "If you weren't holding onto it, I could go."

Which was true, and with Mahar's assurance that there was nothing tying him to anything it really should have been easy at that point to just hand it over.

But it wasn't.

He didn't say anything.  Pulling up and discarding a number of excuses.

"Greed." He said it idly, his head tipped to the side. "You could give it up if you wanted to. But you're greedy."

"I..."  It wasn't greed, precisely.  The pin didn't hold any value by itself, at least not to him.  He didn't think.

"If you take it and just leave then that's it."  In his head it seemed so valid, out loud not so much.  "I'll never know why, or what any of this had been about.  Your whole deal," he gestured at Mahar as he said it, but with emphasis on the face, eyes.  "Bright fuckin' yellow this morning, by the way."

They were still yellow, too; yellow with a warm sheen, but still yellow. He puffed out a sigh and tipped his head back, focusing to put them back. "I'm unwilling to tell you while you have possession of it, and you're unwilling to give it up until I tell you. So that puts us at a standstill."

He watched, perplexed.  "I guess so."  But it wasn't firm, not the defiance from the day before.  More unsure, worn.

"One of us will have to give in eventually, and I've had a lot longer than you to build up my patience." He didn't seem that much older than Tuck, of course, but there was still a difference.

"Then it's just a matter of time."  He pushed open the front down and as he stepped out into the early morning sun he tipped his face back, for just a second or two, to enjoy it.

Then led the way down the sidewalk.

"The question is how long that time will be, because if it's going to be more than a week or two, I should probably handle the situation with the police." He cocked his head a tiny bit. "I look suspicious, right now."

The sound that followed wasn't an answer, wasn't helpful in any way.  Just a non-committal grunt as he increased his pace a bit.

"If you can give me some idea, it's easier to reach a decision." He was still being remarkably -- well, not kind, but he wasn't being a dick, at least.

"I don't know."  There was a slight edge to it, but it wasn't anger.  "I'm not just going to give it to you.  I don't trust that you'll actually tell me anything."  He looked side long at him, notably unhappy about the entire situation.  "How long do you think it'll take to fix that?"

"I suspect it'll only get worse." He shrugged a little bit at Tucker.

"It doesn't have to." They were coming up on the dinner.  An older building with faded sides and a retro looking sign.

"That's easier for you to say." He cracked his neck, trying not to tense up.

Tucker shrugged, holding the door.  "Then maybe you should deal with the cops and just get it over with, cause I don't have a better answer for you right now."

Rabi chewed on that for just a moment as he stepped past Tucker. "Uh huh."

Offline Beejoux

• View Profile
Re: Breakfast business [Rabi x Tucker]
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
It was busy, but it was always busy.  Tucker breezed past Mahar just inside to go and speak to the hostess.  Within a minute they were both being waved in and lead to a booth in the back dining room.  She took their drink orders before she went back to her post.  Tucker ordered a water and large chocolate milk.

It should have been a simple question, but Rabi had to waffle over the entire menu before ordering coffee and a chocolate milkshake. "With cinnamon, if you can."

She smiled and walked away and Tucker reached for his menu, even though he already knew what he wanted.  "If you like sweet things they make their own strawberry jelly, it's really good.  I think you get some with any of the meals though."

Rabi poured over the menu, taking his time, head cocked. "Jelly sounds too simple. We can do better than that."

"Chocolate chip pancakes loaded with syrup?"  He was watching over the edge of his menu.

He brushed a thumb across his mouth, idly, his expression focused. No one ever looked at the specials in a diner, like that. But he was, still. "You're welcome to get whatever you want."

"I'm just making suggestions.  I already know what I'm getting."  It wasn't something Tucker would have noticed or paid attention to if not for the eyes, the hair, the blinking from place to place, or even just the weird way the other man spoke at times.  But he did notice, and it just added another layer of curiosity.

It was breakfast time, so eventually he narrowed it down to the breakfast menu only -- and by the time the waitress came back, he'd make a decision. The house special breakfast, with eggs and bacon and two pancakes (he asked for added chocolate chips) and potatoes and toast.

Tucker's meal was similar, but instead of pancakes he went with a half order of biscuits and gravy, and then gave his menu over with a smile and a polite 'thank you' to their server.  Then pulled his chocolate milk closer.

Rabi stabbed his straw into the milkshake, filled it with a liberal dose of cinnamon -- more than normal here, too -- and stirred it up to drink, legs sprawled under the table. "You come here alone?"

Tucker shrugged as he took a long drink from his milk.  "Sometimes, depends on if anyone else is awake.  Not so much during soccer season, though."

"My question is more if you have any friends." Which was still nicer than how he would have said it. But there was also a slight edge behind it.

"Oh."  He set his glass down again, hand resting around it.  "Assuming you don't just mean acquaintances or people I get along with, yeah, a few."  Dark brows twitched with a thought. "Do you?"

"No." But the question made him smile, slowly, like it amused him instead of stinging. "I'm surprised, though."

It wasn't meant to sting, so that was fine.  "Why are you surprised?"

"I was going to do a group project. I had you pegged as someone who'd have trouble with that." And, maybe, that was why he'd picked it. He didn't say that, though.

"Ah, no.  But you probably would have been disappointed in my contribution regardless."  Being amenable had more or less been beaten into the young man from a young age.

"It would have been very pretty work." Which he made sound like an insult, somehow, sipping at his milkshake.

They'd broached into a topic that was touchy, but it didn't have anything to do with the pin or the fire or what Mahar might or might not have been.

Tucker considered that for a moment, eyes down as he tapped a finger against his glass.  "Why don't you like my work?"

"It doesn't say anything." He shrugged, just a tiny bit, working on the milkshake and watching Tucker. "You close yourself off. It shows."
It made him frown as he thought that through, and he slid the tip of a finger through the condensation on his glass.  "Maybe, but I'm not trying to."

"It's a waste of talent." He chewed on the straw a bit, his attention wandering off of Tucker and around the diner instead.

It wasn't something he was even aware he was doing, so wasn't sure how exactly to fix that.  Though did that even matter at this point.  It didn't sound like Mahar was sticking around to teach.

His lips twitched, one hand leaving his glass to rest his chin on.

There was also a mixed vibe to his criticism -- because it was harsh, maybe, but clearly he did think Tucker had some talent. "It doesn't matter anyway. You'll pass. And you can play your soccer."

"I guess."  It was all true, but it still didn't sit right.  Though if there was more Tuck wanted to say about it he'd have to wait.  The waitress had come back with their food; two giant plates piled high with all the usual breakfast fixings.  Two more dishes with hotcakes and biscuits and gravy, and a last with what looked like, and probably was, a pound of bacon.

Rabi breathed out slowly as he looked at it, and snagged what was his immediately to pull it in toward him and start working. Tucker could talk. He was just going to eat.

Tucker had the appetite of any college aged young man, especially when they hadn't gotten enough to eat the night before.  He set right into his meal, adding one of the numerous eggs on his plate to his biscuits and gravy and mixing it all together.  Between bites he'd add butter to his toast and cut up the rest of his eggs and add ketchup to his hash browns.  He was hungry, and he ate like it.

It was also a relief not to have to talk about anything; to explain or worry it over. Rabi put away a remarkable amount of food, and fast. Then he sat back and sipped at his shake for a while, just watching Tucker.

The quiet wasn't exactly companionable but it managed not to be awkward either,  so Tuck just focused on eating.  Only slowing after a good three quarters of his meal was gone.  "I'm not big on left over breakfast, but do you want to take any of this for later?"  There was toast, some potatoes, and a good amount of bacon left, at least on Tucker's plate.

"Are you done?" His eyes cut down to it, quick and brief, then back up.

"Yeah."  But he took one last piece of bacon before sliding the rest away from himself.

Rabi didn't want to take it. Instead he pulled it over to eat it right now, working his way through the bacon first.

A dark brow arched as he watched the other man, gaze flicking down to an empty plate, then to what little of a remarkably thin torso he could see beneath the worn out shirt.  "That's kind of impressive."

"I pushed today." He spoke around a bite of toast, head tipped to consider Tucker.

"Pushed?"  He wasn't even sure what was meant by that.  "Like cheat days on a diet or something?  No offense, but it doesn't look like this much food should fit in you..."  It was a bizarre way to say it, Tuck knew that, but still.

"Mhm," was all he said, polishing off the toast and leaning back slowly. "Cheat day. Sure."

Brows pinched, lips twisting, but he didn't question it further.  Mostly because he didn't know what questions to ask, nor if Mahar would answer them if he did.

He licked syrup from the side of his thumb idly, other hand rested on his stomach. "Do you always eat like this?"

"No." His head tilted, gaze on the empty plates as he took a drink of water.  "If I ate that much all the time I think I'd weigh like three hundred pounds."

"Cheat day." He said it idly -- reaching out to steal a last scrap of bacon, tiny, from the edge of the plate.

The young man shrugged.  "I'm not on a diet, so I'm not cheating on anything, but occasionally I indulge.  More during soccer cause the extra calories help."

Rabi scratched at his eyebrow, setting down his empty shake. "It helps, some, I think."

"For sports definitely, " he agreed, glancing up as their waitress came back.  She looked at the empty plates, then at both of them, and chuckled.  "Guess you guys were hungry."

Tucker smiled back and accepted the bill.

Rabi didn't smile back. Instead he looked up at the woman like she was an idiot. But he didn't say anything, either.

Only Tuck noticed, having glanced over briefly as he got out his wallet, but he didn't say anything.  He handed over enough cash to cover both meals and a tip and thanked her as she walked away.

He rubbed at his face slowly, idly, and then refocused in on Tucker. "You have class, I'd wager?"

He was on his feet now, wallet tucked away again.  "Not today, it's Sunday.  Tomorrow, though," he continued, shrugging a little.

He waited one more breath before he stood -- maybe just so that he wasn't being yanked along in Tucker's wake. "Fine."

Sure he wouldn't get far without Mahar following, Tucker simply headed for the exit, glancing back only once.

It was warmer out now, the sun up properly.  Tucker fished his phone out to check something, sighing softly.  "I've got homework, and I'm supposed to meet up with a few team mates later to run drills, but..."
Maybe once he'd said it he'd look up and notice that Rabi wasn't actually there -- and wasn't visible down the street, either, even though he'd been only a few steps behind out of the diner.

He blinked as he looked up again, surprised but not, and huffed as he started back for the dorm.  "Well bye then.  Your welcome for breakfast."

But at least now he could get shit done without distraction.